A beautiful Georgian townhouse
The Glove House bed and breakfast is a beautiful Georgian townhouse located in the centre of Woodstock, on the edge of the Cotswolds and 7 miles from Oxford. The Glove House is about 400 years old and was used as a glove workshop in the 1870’s, when it was lived in by the Daggett family with their 5 children and servants. Christopher Daggett was one of Woodstock’s largest glove manufacturers at the time and according to local history records, Benjamin Disraeli visited the glove workshop in 1873, when we may suppose that he was presented with a pair of gloves that had been made in the house!
These days there is little sign of the glove-making that once went on here,but the house has a wonderful sense of history and one senses that it has many stories to tell, with its oak paneled reception hall with open fire place to the spacious rooms, and cellar with secret passageway and mullioned windows.